September is National Be Kind to Editors and Writers Month. As a writer myself, I think this is a very good idea! 🙂 Established in 1984 by Lone Star Publishing of San Antonio, Be Kind to Editors and Writers Month honors people without whom the back of the cereal box would be blank. In all seriousness, though, writers do make the world a brighter place, and it is editors who help the writer shine, as I can testify from personal experience.
As I was looking for information about this important month, I ran across a list of what you can do for your writer. Some of the ideas are quite practical:
- Do not interrupt your loved one while they are working. We have lost many ideas this way.
- Offer to baby-sit for the writer/editor in your life. They might not get any work done, but the kids will be out of their hair for a while!
- Remember them with a smile, a pat on the back, or better yet, a “death by chocolate” brownie.
Some were pretty useless for this day and age:
- Sharpen all the pencils in the house.
And one was downright rude!
- If your writer/editor is blonde, take the initiative to clean the white-out off of the computer screen.
However, as a writer myself here’s what I would suggest:
- Buy their books . If you buy it from Amazon, leave a review. You can find a list of my books (shameless self-promotion) at my QuoteLady.com Website, or visit my author page on Amazon. (only lists the ones carried by them.)
- Subscribe to their blog posts (like this one!)
- On Facebook, like and share their posts.
- On Twitter, like and retweet their posts.
- Similar for whatever social media they frequent.
So if you enjoy reading, thank an author or editor during this month. They will appreciate it! (And take them chocolate.)
Quotes on writing
As a poet and writer, I deeply love and I deeply hate words. I love the infinite evidence and change and requirements and possibilities of language; every human use of words that is joyful, or honest, or new because experience is new. . . . But, as a black poet and writer, I hate words that cancel my name and my history and the freedom of my future: I hate the words that condemn and refuse the language of my people in America.–June Jordan
At its best, the sensation of writing is that of any unmerited grace. It is handed to you, but only if you look for it. You search, you break your heart, your back, your brain, and then–and only then–it is handed to you.–Annie Dillard
At its heartmeat core, writing is about exploring the questions of your heart on the assumption that what intrigues you, what inflames or amuses or ennobles you, will have the same effect on someone else. It’s about taking chances, and taking risks, and pushing yourself to be honest in the issues that present themselves.–J. Michael Straczynski
Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it’s always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins.–Neil Gaiman
Don’t write merely to be understood. Write so that you cannot possibly be misunderstood.–Robert Louis Stevenson
For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can.–Ernest Hemingway
For your born writer, nothing is so healing as the realization that he has come upon the right word.–Catherine Drinker Bowen
Good writers are in the business of leaving signposts saying, Tour my world, see and feel it through my eyes; I am your guide.–Larry L. King
It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer.–E. B. White
Find more than 9000 inspirational quotes and a link to the Quote of the Day list, as well as quotation related merchandise, at http://www.quotelady.com.