October is National Pizza Month, and theoretically, at least, you should be able to find some exceptional deals at your local pizza shop during this month. According to what I’ve read, October is also the month when pizzerias try out new flavors. So it might be worth checking out. By the way, it is said that pizza comes from the Latin root word picea which means the blackening of crust by fire. Not sure if that is actually true.
According to pizza.com (which is definitely the go-to place for information about pizza), October was designated pizza month in 1984 by Gerry Durnell, the founder of Pizza Today magazine when he realized there were no periodicals or tradeshow publications to support his growing pizza business or the industry in general. And it worked well. Today it is estimated that there are over 63,000 pizzerias in the United States.
I live in a mobile home court, and we go out together for pizza once a month. Besides the fellowship, the best part is that if you buy 12 pizzas from Mia & Pia’s where we go, you get a free pizza. Yum! So far I have gotten two free pizzas, so you can guess how much I love it! And it’s always pepperoni for me. I’m a purist when it comes to pizza. But alas, as much as I love the Pacific Northwest, to get a really good pizza, you need to be in the east. Any of you lucky enough to be near a Pontillos in New York state, enjoy a pizza for me.
Here are a few fun facts from pizza.com:
- The average pizzeria uses 55 boxes a day.
- It’s estimated that around 251,770,000 pounds of pepperoni are consumed every year in the U.S.
- The largest pizza ever made was 122 feet and 8 inches in diameter. It called for 9,920 pounds of flour, 3968 pounds of cheese and 1,984 pounds of tomato puree.
- Mozzarella cheese accounts for nearly 80 percent of Italian cheese production in the United States.
- The world’s fastest pizza maker made 14 pizzas in a record two minutes and 35 seconds.
- The top 5 pizza sales days are: Super Bowl Sunday, New Year’s Eve, Halloween, the night before Thanksgiving, & New Year’s Day
- Over 5 billion pizzas are sold worldwide each year.
- And one of my own: in the Pacific Northwest where I live, you can tell a native of the area because they prefer Canadian bacon and pineapple on their pizza.
Quotes about pizza
Those pizzas I ate were for medicinal purposes.–Amy Neftzger
On Venus you could cook a 16-inch pepperoni pizza in seven seconds, just by holding it out to the air. (Yes, I did the math.)–Neil deGrasse Tyson
Pizza is like the entire food pyramid!–Madeline Oles
Heaven would be a comfortable chair, a library, Diet Coke, and an occasional cheese pizza.–Jayden Hunter
I will never understand the appeal of the Hawaiian pizza.–Judd Winick
There’s no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap.–Kevin James
I just want to be in my sweats, walk my dog, watch TV and eat pizza.–America Ferrera
And I don’t cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza.–Tiger Woods
I think of dieting, then I eat pizza.–Lara Stone
I’m an emotional eater. If something’s worth celebrating, we’re going to grab pizza.–Laurieann Gibson
We’ve got a wood-burning pizza oven in the garden – a luxury, I know, but it’s one of the best investments I’ve ever made.–Gwyneth Paltrow
My car broke down outside pizza Hut last night. So I ordered a pizza to be delivered to my house and got a lift from the driver.–Nikhil Saluja
Find more than 9000 inspirational quotes and a link to the Quote of the Day list, as well as quotation related merchandise, at http://www.quotelady.com