On January 17 we celebrate and encourage the creativity of children. The date chosen to celebrate this day is the anniversary of Benjamin Franklin’s birthday. When Franklin was just 12 years old, he invented the world’s first swim flippers, though they were for the hands rather than the feet.
Young people created some important things. (Thanks to Warwick Daily News for these.)
- Braille. A 15-year-old Louis Braille modified a military code used for reading messages on the battlefield in the dark and went on to invent Braille, a raised dots system making it possible for blind people to read.
- Snowmobile. 15-year-old Joseph-Armand Bombardier invented the snowmobile. It began by him wondering what would happen if you attached a motor to a sled.
- Trampoline. At age 16, George Nissen watched acrobats drop into a safety net after their act and thought it would be fun if they kept bouncing. He rigged a canvas tightly over a metal frame, creating something that would give joy to many.
- The Popsicle. One freezing night in San Francisco in 1905, Frank Epperson mixed soda water powder and water in a glass and then left the stirring stick in the mixture. After a night out in the cold, the mixture had frozen solid – and the accidental inventor had created the world’s first Popsicle.
- Earmuffs. at 19 years of age, Chester Greenwood made a wire frame and had his grandmother sew some beaver skins to it. He created the world’s first pair of earmuffs and went on to patent the invention.
The most creative people on the planet are children. Today is the day to encourage their dreams and crazy ideas, their inventiveness and creativity.
Quotes about creativity
Focus should be to encourage and develop creativity in all children without the ultimate goal begin to make all children inventors, but rather to develop a future generation of critical thinkers.–Faraq Mousa
The only truly happy people are children and the creative minority.–Jean Caldwell
There is no doubt that creativity is the most important human resource of all. Without creativity, there would be no progress, and we would be forever repeating the same patterns.–Edward de Bono
We are born makers. We move what we’re learning from our heads to our hearts through our hands.–Brene Brown
When I’m playful I use the meridians of longitude and parallels of latitude for a seine, and drag the Atlantic Ocean for whales. I scratch my head with the lightning and purr myself to sleep with the thunder.–Mark Twain
You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.–Maya Angelou
The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.–Carl Jung
Creative minds are rarely tidy.–John William Gardner
Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.–George Bernard Shaw
Creativity comes with being human; it is the power to think new, to imagine, to see a metaphor. Animals make by instinct. People get new ideas. All you need is an open mind.–Jean Unsworth
Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.–Mary Lou Cook
Curiosity about life in all of its aspects, I think, is still the secret of great creative people.-–Leo Burnett
Don’t let anyone rob you of your imagination, your creativity, or your curiosity. It’s your place in the world; it’s your life. Go on and do all you can with it, and make it the life you want to live.–Mae Jemison
Imagination is the spark that ignites the fire of creativity.–Richard Laurence Peterson
Find over 9500 inspirational quotes at http://www.quotelady.com. Also visit us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quote-Lady/133258553807 and on Twitter: https://twitter.com/kloberst (@kloberst)